Sunday, February 03, 2008

painted kids

I have had a renewed vigor for oil painting recently. This is the painted version of this drawing of our beautiful little neighbor girl. I mentioned that I wanted to get the more spontanious style of my drawing into my paintings. You'll notice that more time was put into the face, especially around the eyes, then quicker work in the less important surrounding area. I really like to take 2-3 overlays in the white areas so it will really glow with the reflecting light when lit correctly(or sunlight). Done in oil on 11"x14" masonite board.

6 comments:

Dennis Jones said...

...I really enjoy reading your comments about your work ...they cause me to think about what I'm doing with art, too...

Anders said...

beautiful and sensitive portrait, Dave. I dig how you keep the look focused on the face as you explained. I wonder if it's also because of the composition.

bravo!

SEILER said...

Awesome. I absolutely love that arm, the loose sketchy feel is really nice!

Unknown said...

Lovely Dave. I like the way you kept the head and shoulders in kid perspective. I`ve seen so many folks when they paint kids over power the innocent face with too much detail in the clothing. Nice.

Antonio Fernandez said...

Very nice, David! A good oil painting

S.T. Lewis said...

So, I decided to take a break from keeping up with everyone's blogs for the last two months, and your blog is the one I fell the most behind on. 11 new posts?! You're a mad man.

Instead of leaving 11 comments and boring you 11 times with my thoughts, I'll just bore you one big time here:

I love your caricatures... Huckabee and Giuliani are hilarious. Pee Wee's a great caricature too... sadly that's how he actually looks. Your sketches are incredible, and your painting skills are just as good. The only thing about your blog I don't like is this really long comment... so I'm going to end it. Great stuff, Dave - I'll try to keep up from now on.