Thursday, June 13, 2013

Sewing

I came across a lovely old black and white photograph by Frank Sutcliffe. I wish I could take lovely pictures so that I would have more reference available. So here is the digital painting taking liberties with the face, value, and color obviously.

Below you will find a few steps along the way. I really liked the simplicity of the original drawing I almost wanted to leave it with that. But I soldiered on to a monotone painting which began to get too overworked for me, after I started adding color to it I decided to try to lose some of the detail.


2 comments:

Kwabena Sarfo said...

This is beautiful. Being predominantly a draftsman myself, I've also wondered about painting things in monotone first, and then adding the colour later. But as you've shown here, the technique varies according to the situation. Really great work, Dave. I'm a big fan :)

kencoogan said...

David, it's been the best part of a year since I viewed your blog (that thing called 'life' got in the way) and I've just spent the best part of a week trying to remember your name and the name of your amazing blog.
'Brilliant Anyway' just arrived in my head apropos nothing and boy am I glad it did. Your work continues to amaze and inspire me.